About the Allen J. Lynch Medal of Honor Veteran’s Assistance Program
The Allen J. Lynch Medal of Honor Veteran’s Assistance Program is set up to provide stop-gap funding so that the veteran is capable of continuing the recovery or education process. Individuals will receive a hand up, not a hand out. A majority of the Board of Directors for the program must approve each request for assistance after the veteran has been vetted, usually by another veterans’ service organization.
We envision that through raising funds from donors wanting to help our veterans we can then share that generosity with those we encounter or are referred to us by a veterans’ servicing organization. The request for support is evaluated by the board of directors and a majority must agree with the approach chosen or the plan must be re-worked until approval is received.
The AJL Medal of Honor Veteran’s Assistance Program does not disperse cash. We will pay rent, a motel bill, medical expenses, food, educational expenses not covered by others, even travel costs – but only to the service provider. Cash is too easily “re-prioritized” by someone in an already stressful situation so we avoid that by paying the bill ourselves.
formed to provide onetime funding to needy veterans and their families in order to assist in their recovery from financial hardships. Our grants are a one-time occurrence, though on rare occasion we may approve a second grant. Our grants are a hand up not a hand out. We assist only those veterans who are actively participating in improving their lives, who through no fault of their own have gotten into financial trouble.
Among the Ways We Help…
The Foundation has assisted veterans their families by providing short-term funds. Some ways the Foundation has helped out have been by:
- Purchasing a certified used car for a veteran so he could continue his work with PAWWS.
- Worked with ALL Temp Heating and Cooling to put a new furnace in a veteran’s home.
- Paid numerous auto repair bill for veterans who need an auto to get to and from work.
- Worked with the VA HUD/VASH program nationwide to assist homeless veterans.
- Assist a veteran’s family in moving to another state so he could care for his aging mother.
- Assisted a veteran with service connected breathing issues in getting a special HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air conditioning unit.
- Purchased two cranial helmets for two young girls because TRICARE would not purchase them for an active duty family.
- When a veteran recovering from alcoholism who used his bicycle to get to and from treatment had it stolen – AJLF arranged for him to get a replacement.
- An ex-offender vet was supported with a prepaid telephone and food cards until he was hired as a bike messenger. AJLF then procured a bicycle and required safety and security equipment for his job.
- Bought an airplane ticked and a gift card so a service member serving in Afghanistan could come home for the birth of his child. The family already had a special needs child and the pregnancy for the new child had complications. Another organization refused to assist. We thought it necessary that he be home.
The AJL Medal of Honor Veteran’s Assistance Program is a program of Operation Support our Troops-America an IRS approved 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit organization.
A point of importance here is that the board members are true volunteers – no one is paid for their time or travel. Office and normal business expenses are reimbursed to the board member after approval by two other board members. There is not a per diem payment for meetings or events – it is a gift from each board member. Individually a board member may decide to personally support a board function or even a portion of the program for a veteran -these are personal choices and thus are not reimbursed by the board.
We also do not – and will not – contract with “for hire” fund raisers and organizations that charge a fee for the donations provided. That is money not spent on the veteran and thus anathema to us.
To learn more about the program, please CLICK HERE
To apply for assistance, please CLICK HERE